Newham volunteers get stuck in to improve park
Volunteers will be joining bankers to make a difference to Beckton District Park over several days.
They were taking part in CSV Make a Difference Day, the UK’s single biggest day of volunteering is for many a first chance to volunteer. Two thirds of people who volunteer have not done so before, and of those, two thirds go on to volunteer again.
Residents and staff from Barclays were at the park from Wednesday to Friday to repaint the pavilion building to make it more appealing and inviting, and tidy up the lake area.
Meanwhile budding artists shared their skills with older and younger people living in Newham yesterday, Wednesday. Asta Community Hub hosted an art workshop at 14a Camel Road, Silvertown, for local people to show off their artistic skills, which will be displayed at the recently built community garden.
Community Childcare Service is promising a day of fun activities whilst cleaning up Ash Burton Woods (Ash Burton Woods) on Fridaym November 2. Families are invited to litter pick the park, and kids can take part in fun, educational activities to help benefit the environment.
You may also want to watch:
Charity shops throughout the borough are also welcoming volunteers to try being part of the team sorting, displaying and selling the donated items in store. Volunteering in a charity shop is an incredible opportunity to gain retail experience and meet new people.
This year CSV Make a Difference Day took place on October 27, with activities taking place the two weeks either side.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 4 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 8 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 9 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 10 Stevenage and Leyton Orient still searching for a victory after stalemate at the Lamex