Newham super choir preparing for Jubilee
Pupils from Newham are bracing themselves for a three days of music over the Jubilee weekend, finishing in the Royal Festival Hall.
To celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, and as part of the Cultural Olympiad, 58 young singers from six primary and secondary schools from around Newham will team up for a one off performance called Jubilation!
The young singers, currently based in Stratford, hail from - Sarah Bonnell School, who are donating their premises for rehearsal space, Cumberland School, Kingsford Community School, Nelson Primary School, Gainsborough Primary School and Park Primary School.
The project is working in partnership with Living Song, a local enterprise led by Jane Wheeler in partnership with Sarah Bonnell’s Head of Music James Lyndsay.
The event also marks the 25th anniversary of the Choral Music Experience (CME), a teaching programme founded in the USA, whose aims are “to reflect the values of diversity, inclusion, to listen deeply to what lies between the notes.”
Jane said: “CME’s philosophy is about bringing people together, young and old, to share the joy of music regardless of their beliefs and backgrounds.
“This philosophy is so relevant for Newham and for the UK as a whole and the Jubilation! event is about celebrating that idea.
- 1 Stratford roof-terrace restaurant destroyed by late-night fire
- 2 Men jailed after violent beating with steering wheel lock caught on dashcam
- 3 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 4 School which has nine-hour days praised as 'outstanding'
- 5 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 6 Remembering speedway at West Ham Stadium 50 years on
- 7 Moyes gives warning after West Ham miss out on Europa League
- 8 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 9 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 10 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
“Not only will we be showcasing excellence in choral singing, there are also several Community Choirs from Newham and neighbouring boroughs joining us to form a Massed Sing as part of the event.
“It’s going to be a very special evening.”
Tickets for Jubilation! are �8/�4 available from www.livingsong.co.uk or directly from the Royal Festival Hall box office on 020 7492 9930.