Newham super choir preparing for Jubilee
Pupils from Newham are bracing themselves for a three days of music over the Jubilee weekend, finishing in the Royal Festival Hall.
To celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, and as part of the Cultural Olympiad, 58 young singers from six primary and secondary schools from around Newham will team up for a one off performance called Jubilation!
The young singers, currently based in Stratford, hail from - Sarah Bonnell School, who are donating their premises for rehearsal space, Cumberland School, Kingsford Community School, Nelson Primary School, Gainsborough Primary School and Park Primary School.
The project is working in partnership with Living Song, a local enterprise led by Jane Wheeler in partnership with Sarah Bonnell’s Head of Music James Lyndsay.
The event also marks the 25th anniversary of the Choral Music Experience (CME), a teaching programme founded in the USA, whose aims are “to reflect the values of diversity, inclusion, to listen deeply to what lies between the notes.”
You may also want to watch:
Jane said: “CME’s philosophy is about bringing people together, young and old, to share the joy of music regardless of their beliefs and backgrounds.
“This philosophy is so relevant for Newham and for the UK as a whole and the Jubilation! event is about celebrating that idea.
- 1 Letter: Targeted response in London to Indian Covid variant
- 2 Man tried to become comic book character by stabbing teen in park toilets
- 3 Leyton Orient confident next manager will take them to the next level
- 4 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 5 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 6 West Ham Women bow out of FA Cup at Manchester City
- 7 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 8 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 9 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans
- 10 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
“Not only will we be showcasing excellence in choral singing, there are also several Community Choirs from Newham and neighbouring boroughs joining us to form a Massed Sing as part of the event.
“It’s going to be a very special evening.”
Tickets for Jubilation! are �8/�4 available from www.livingsong.co.uk or directly from the Royal Festival Hall box office on 020 7492 9930.