Newham super choir preparing for Jubilee
Pupils from Newham are bracing themselves for a three days of music over the Jubilee weekend, finishing in the Royal Festival Hall.
To celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, and as part of the Cultural Olympiad, 58 young singers from six primary and secondary schools from around Newham will team up for a one off performance called Jubilation!
The young singers, currently based in Stratford, hail from - Sarah Bonnell School, who are donating their premises for rehearsal space, Cumberland School, Kingsford Community School, Nelson Primary School, Gainsborough Primary School and Park Primary School.
The project is working in partnership with Living Song, a local enterprise led by Jane Wheeler in partnership with Sarah Bonnell’s Head of Music James Lyndsay.
The event also marks the 25th anniversary of the Choral Music Experience (CME), a teaching programme founded in the USA, whose aims are “to reflect the values of diversity, inclusion, to listen deeply to what lies between the notes.”
You may also want to watch:
Jane said: “CME’s philosophy is about bringing people together, young and old, to share the joy of music regardless of their beliefs and backgrounds.
“This philosophy is so relevant for Newham and for the UK as a whole and the Jubilation! event is about celebrating that idea.
- 1 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 2 Luxury hotel with artisan food market and rooftop bar to open in Stratford
- 3 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 6 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 What's on across east London this weekend?
- 9 Parks in Newham triumph with Green Flag awards
- 10 Newham nursery schools praised for inclusion work
“Not only will we be showcasing excellence in choral singing, there are also several Community Choirs from Newham and neighbouring boroughs joining us to form a Massed Sing as part of the event.
“It’s going to be a very special evening.”
Tickets for Jubilation! are �8/�4 available from www.livingsong.co.uk or directly from the Royal Festival Hall box office on 020 7492 9930.