Newham student Anita stars in ITV Freshers show
- Credit: Archant
Fresher’s Week is usually a heady mix of nerves, nonstop events, frantic befriending and homesickness, and if that isn’t enough to deal with, how about a film crew documenting your every move?
Anita Okolie, from East Ham, was selected as one of six first-year students starting at Bedfordshire University for an ITV2 show, Freshers.
From the beginning of October a film crew followed them as they left home and settled in to university life, and just four days after finishing filming the three-part series started being televised.
Anita, 20, arrived at university feeling apprehensive, but given a bit of time she got into the swing of things.
And inevitably for a fly-on-the-wall documentary, there have been some cringe-worthy moments when Anita has watched it back.
You may also want to watch:
“I didn’t know how to turn on the oven. Obviously I know how to turn on the oven at home. But when they showed that I was so embarrassed. And they showed me getting a bit tipsy and having a pillow fight with two boys. My mum called me up afterwards and shouted at me about that,” she said.
But the former NewVic Sixth Form College student, who is now taking a degree in social studies and criminology, enjoyed the celebrity status in her first week and is now loving university life.
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 'Dangerous and predatory' Newham man found guilty of child sex assault
- 3 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 4 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 5 Demand for urgent action as Newham lags behind in Covid-19 jabs
- 6 Seven charged after police crackdown on alleged county lines
- 7 Free cultural events and family activities in the Royal Docks announced
- 8 Charting Jack the Ripper's 'rival' in the West Ham murders
- 9 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 10 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
“It was so fun. At first it was strange people looking at me but I got used to it,” she said.
“I was one of the people who found university difficult. I wanted to be back at home. I’m just used to my friends. Everyone here is really crazy. But now I absolutely love it. I love the independence.”
The final episode of Freshers is on ITV2 tonight at 9pm.