Newham student Anita stars in ITV Freshers show
- Credit: Archant
Fresher’s Week is usually a heady mix of nerves, nonstop events, frantic befriending and homesickness, and if that isn’t enough to deal with, how about a film crew documenting your every move?
Anita Okolie, from East Ham, was selected as one of six first-year students starting at Bedfordshire University for an ITV2 show, Freshers.
From the beginning of October a film crew followed them as they left home and settled in to university life, and just four days after finishing filming the three-part series started being televised.
Anita, 20, arrived at university feeling apprehensive, but given a bit of time she got into the swing of things.
And inevitably for a fly-on-the-wall documentary, there have been some cringe-worthy moments when Anita has watched it back.
You may also want to watch:
“I didn’t know how to turn on the oven. Obviously I know how to turn on the oven at home. But when they showed that I was so embarrassed. And they showed me getting a bit tipsy and having a pillow fight with two boys. My mum called me up afterwards and shouted at me about that,” she said.
But the former NewVic Sixth Form College student, who is now taking a degree in social studies and criminology, enjoyed the celebrity status in her first week and is now loving university life.
- 1 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 4 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 5 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 6 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 7 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 8 Next court date for drink driving accused after Beckton collision
- 9 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 10 Lanzini enjoying deeper role for West Ham in pre-season
“It was so fun. At first it was strange people looking at me but I got used to it,” she said.
“I was one of the people who found university difficult. I wanted to be back at home. I’m just used to my friends. Everyone here is really crazy. But now I absolutely love it. I love the independence.”
The final episode of Freshers is on ITV2 tonight at 9pm.