Newham sixth formers run market stalls
- Credit: Archant
Sixth form students who ran their own market stalls as part of a business enterprise project impressed traders so much that they were asked to return.
The students from Newham Sixth Form College (NewVIc)in Prince Regent Lane, Plaistow recently ran their own stalls at Hoxton market, as part of a new business enterprise project run through a unique partnership between Barclays Bank PLC, Newham-based charity, Community Links and Hackney Council.
20 business students from Newham Sixth Form College worked on stalls from 8.30am to 4pm on the first day at Hoxton Market. They were split into four teams that each ran their own stall: Family Favourite (home-made cupcakes), Chocolate Delight (fruit and treats dipped into a chocolate fondue fountain), Inkz (pre-printed T-shirt art) and Flavour Maize (a popcorn stand). All four teams sold successfully, achieving a profit of over £200 in total.
They were so well received by fellow traders, the market managers and customers that they were asked by Community Links to return on the final weekend of the project.
The project was also largely driven by NewVIc’s business department alongside the college’s student development team, who encouraged students to reflect on what they had learnt from working at the market.
You may also want to watch:
Chandni Patel, Level 3 BTEC extended diploma in business student, said: “It’s been a challenging experience and we really learnt how to work as a team.”
A spokesman for Community Links said: “Through this project, students learn how to retail and sell products, develop their skills in communications as well as working collectively towards one aim. Ultimately, it’s really important that we can tap into the enterprise hub and that students are able to develop vital experience in enterprise.”
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 4 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 5 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 6 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen