Newham sixth formers run market stalls
- Credit: Archant
Sixth form students who ran their own market stalls as part of a business enterprise project impressed traders so much that they were asked to return.
The students from Newham Sixth Form College (NewVIc)in Prince Regent Lane, Plaistow recently ran their own stalls at Hoxton market, as part of a new business enterprise project run through a unique partnership between Barclays Bank PLC, Newham-based charity, Community Links and Hackney Council.
20 business students from Newham Sixth Form College worked on stalls from 8.30am to 4pm on the first day at Hoxton Market. They were split into four teams that each ran their own stall: Family Favourite (home-made cupcakes), Chocolate Delight (fruit and treats dipped into a chocolate fondue fountain), Inkz (pre-printed T-shirt art) and Flavour Maize (a popcorn stand). All four teams sold successfully, achieving a profit of over £200 in total.
They were so well received by fellow traders, the market managers and customers that they were asked by Community Links to return on the final weekend of the project.
The project was also largely driven by NewVIc’s business department alongside the college’s student development team, who encouraged students to reflect on what they had learnt from working at the market.
You may also want to watch:
Chandni Patel, Level 3 BTEC extended diploma in business student, said: “It’s been a challenging experience and we really learnt how to work as a team.”
A spokesman for Community Links said: “Through this project, students learn how to retail and sell products, develop their skills in communications as well as working collectively towards one aim. Ultimately, it’s really important that we can tap into the enterprise hub and that students are able to develop vital experience in enterprise.”
- 1 Steven Fry stabbing: Man charged with murder to appear at Old Bailey
- 2 3D street art illusion brings Boleyn Ground to life
- 3 Fire damages house in East Ham
- 4 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 5 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 6 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 7 Canning Town charity marks fifth year with tributes to founder
- 8 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 9 Haircuts, flu jabs and health care: Event to link up homeless and vulnerable people with free support services
- 10 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case