Newham set for snow
- Credit: Archant
The first snow of winter could be about to fall this weekend.
Temperatures are likely to plummet, with gale force winds and icy showers headed for Newham.
Drivers are warned of icy road conditions and it’s likely the gritters could be out in force.
Chris Hogan, from weather forecasters MeteoGroup, said: “Early on Saturday, you’re looking at temperatures pretty much near zero or one across the whole country – particularly in the east, the east will be the coldest.
“In the south, everyone’s going to notice how cold it is with a chance, anywhere in the east, of maybe a few flakes of wintry stuff falling.”
The cold spell will last into Sunday, however the winds will become westerly from the beginning of next week and things should become more bearable.
Mr Hogan added: “This cold snap is probably not going to last too long, but obviously it’s late November – it’s not like it’s going to become tropical.”
- 1 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 4 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 5 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 6 Things to do in east London this weekend
- 7 Hammers fans show support for Christmas Toy Appeal
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Leyton Orient could send goalkeeper Sargeant back out on loan
- 10 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
There will be a drop-off in minimum temperatures of up to five degrees.
Icy wind gusts of 60-70mph will whip much of central and southern Britain from this evening, making things noticeably colder.
The Met Office said: “Please be aware of the likelihood of some difficult driving conditions and possible travel disruption.”