Newham scouts learn the ropes at Zippos Circus
A group of Scouts working towards their circus skills badges were given a helping hand by performers from Zippos Circus.
The famous circus, which was visiting Central Park in East Ham, has provided teaching facilities to the Scouts for five years as part of its community programme.
Scouts visited the circus to work with top performers who will also help Scoutmasters assess them for the badge.
The circus is happy to provide this facility as a service to Newham, which is one of Zippos’ oldest venues, and is one of the performers’ favourite ‘stands’.
Martin Burton of Zippos said: “We often work with community groups in the areas we visit. It’s part of Zippos’ community outreach programme.
You may also want to watch:
“Newham Scouts first asked for help some years ago, and our performers now look forward to teaching a new group of Scouts every time we come here. They’re a great bunch of young people – in return for our help, they’re teaching us how to put up tents.”
Alfie Ford, commissioner of Scouts for Newham, said their association with Zippos went back a decade and the Scouts always enjoyed the skills workshops.
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 6 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 7 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 8 Levels youngsters sign Premier League and Football League contracts
- 9 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 10 Connor Wood keen to keep developing at Leyton Orient under Kenny Jackett
The group of 50 Scouts learnt a variety of skills, including juggling, spinning plates and trampolining, from the experts and enjoyed the atmsophere at the circus, which was in Newham from May 10 to 15.