Newham scouts learn the ropes at Zippos Circus
A group of Scouts working towards their circus skills badges were given a helping hand by performers from Zippos Circus.
The famous circus, which was visiting Central Park in East Ham, has provided teaching facilities to the Scouts for five years as part of its community programme.
Scouts visited the circus to work with top performers who will also help Scoutmasters assess them for the badge.
The circus is happy to provide this facility as a service to Newham, which is one of Zippos’ oldest venues, and is one of the performers’ favourite ‘stands’.
Martin Burton of Zippos said: “We often work with community groups in the areas we visit. It’s part of Zippos’ community outreach programme.
“Newham Scouts first asked for help some years ago, and our performers now look forward to teaching a new group of Scouts every time we come here. They’re a great bunch of young people – in return for our help, they’re teaching us how to put up tents.”
Alfie Ford, commissioner of Scouts for Newham, said their association with Zippos went back a decade and the Scouts always enjoyed the skills workshops.
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 Moyes angered by late West Ham defeat at Old Trafford
- 3 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 4 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 5 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 6 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 7 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 8 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 9 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 10 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
The group of 50 Scouts learnt a variety of skills, including juggling, spinning plates and trampolining, from the experts and enjoyed the atmsophere at the circus, which was in Newham from May 10 to 15.