Newham’s young mental health unit is ‘excellent’
A Newham-based mental health unit for young people has been rated as ‘excellent’.
The Coborn Centre for Adolescent Mental Health was assessed by the Quality Network for Inpatient CAMHS (Children and Adolescent Mental Health Services). It is a national accreditation and inspection programme led by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
Their assessment visit to the Coborn Centre, in Glen Road, Plaistow included reviewing questionnaires filled in by both service users and staff, and in-depth discussions with the team and inpatients. They also carried out an inspection of services and wards, and scrutinised a large amount of evidence submitted by the team.
‘Excellent’ is the highest level achievable in the accreditation. The Coborn is one of three units in the country to achieve an Excellent rating.
The centre provides person and family-centred care for young people aged 12 to 18 with complex and severe mental illness. It helps them through the most acute phase of their difficulties and aims to reintegrate them back into their community as soon as they are ready. The unit has a school room so that young people admitted don’t fall behind educationally.
You may also want to watch:
Claire McKenna, Service Manager and Senior Nurse, said: “We’ve been part of the Quality Network since 2003 and have been striving for excellence in everything we do. The award and the rating make us very proud of our work but more importantly, this programme has been immensely helpful in ensuring we provide the best care possible for our young inpatients at all times.”
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 'Concern over reliability of cladding and fire safety assessments'
- 5 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 6 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 9 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 10 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs