Newham’s young LGBT group kick off crowdfunding campaign
- Credit: Archant
A group for the young gay and lesbian community in Newham is hoping to raise £6000.
The Paris group for teenage members of the LGBT community in the borough is starting a crowdfunding campaign with a football match this weekend.
The group, which currently has little funding, is run by Dawn Bassinger who works to support young people across east London and educate the wider community about homosexuality.
She said: “We want to raise awareness and also want teenagers who face problems coming out due to their surrounding environments to know that we’re here.”
One 18-year-old Paris member from Stratford, who wished to remain anonymous, said: “For me, Paris is like my family. You don’t have to worry about what you say or what you’re going to do, just be yourself – the group and the support workers all together.
“When I started college I was not the person I am now, to put it in simple words. I was really shy. The change in me has come just through Paris. Now I talk to everyone.”
The campaign will start with a charity football match between Clapton FC and Basildon United at the Old Spotted dog ground in Forest Gate at 3pm.
- 1 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 2 Man suffers leg wound in Beckton stabbing
- 3 West Ham need to 'improve everything' for Forest trip says Soucek
- 4 'There is a cover-up going on somewhere', says flat death OAP's daughter
- 5 Councils get cash to tackle chewing gum on high streets
- 6 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 7 Extreme heat: Met Office issues warning as temperatures set to soar
- 8 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 9 Leyton Orient 'don't really need' Forest Green Rovers cup tie says Wellens
- 10 Coroner slams 'scandalous' failures after woman laid dead for two years
The group is held on Thursdays at 6.30pm and 8.30pm. Call Dawn Bassinger on 07950 490034.