Newham’s young LGBT group kick off crowdfunding campaign
- Credit: Archant
A group for the young gay and lesbian community in Newham is hoping to raise £6000.
The Paris group for teenage members of the LGBT community in the borough is starting a crowdfunding campaign with a football match this weekend.
The group, which currently has little funding, is run by Dawn Bassinger who works to support young people across east London and educate the wider community about homosexuality.
She said: “We want to raise awareness and also want teenagers who face problems coming out due to their surrounding environments to know that we’re here.”
One 18-year-old Paris member from Stratford, who wished to remain anonymous, said: “For me, Paris is like my family. You don’t have to worry about what you say or what you’re going to do, just be yourself – the group and the support workers all together.
“When I started college I was not the person I am now, to put it in simple words. I was really shy. The change in me has come just through Paris. Now I talk to everyone.”
The campaign will start with a charity football match between Clapton FC and Basildon United at the Old Spotted dog ground in Forest Gate at 3pm.
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 3 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 7 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 8 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 9 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Jackett looks at positives from Port Vale point
The group is held on Thursdays at 6.30pm and 8.30pm. Call Dawn Bassinger on 07950 490034.