Newham’s New Year babies
- Credit: Archant
The New Year started with a bang for several mums across the borough with the arrival of their new babies.
For Jennifer Chan, newborn Alexi Li was an early 3.5kg (7lb 8oz) present ahead of her birthday later in the month.
The 31-year-old, who lives in Seagull Lane, Canning Town, with fiance Ian, gave birth at 2.31am to their first child, who was due a week earlier.
“I was kind of hoping that she wouldn’t come over Christmas because I would prefer a New Year baby so it has been nice,” Jennifer admitted.
“She’s been sleeping and eating a lot.”
You may also want to watch:
Venus Urmatam, of Selsdon Road, Plaistow, gave birth to her second child, Ariana Leila De Juan, who weighed 3.3kg (7lb 4oz) at 3.12pm.
“Everyone thought she was going to come late but she decided to come on New Year’s Day and surprise us all,” the 27-year-old said. And lucky Ariana has got a doting elder brother in two-year-old Jaedon and her pleased as punch father, James.
- 1 WATCH: Footage emerges of Beckton Alps ski slope
- 2 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 3 'We haven't waited to act': Newham primary schools extend days to help pupils catch up after pandemic
- 4 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 5 Views sought on future of Newham as local plan set for refresh
- 6 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 9 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
“Jaedon was a bit afraid of her at first but now he’s happy he’s covering with a blanket and he gave her a teddy which is quite nice,” Venus said. “She’s a good eater and she sleeps a lot, much more than her brother when he was born.”
Anni Shone, of Raymond Road, Upton Park, gave birth to her second daughter, who is as yet unnamed, at 3am.
“It was quite cool because we were expecting a Christmas baby and we got a New Year Day’s baby instead,” the 31-year-old said.
Her husband, Sunny, is delighted by the new 3.8kg (8lb 4oz) arrival, as is their exciteable seven-year-old daughter, Ellissa, who Anni says the new arrival is the spitting image of.
Pearl Kowlessar-Manoo, Interim Midwifery Manager at Newham University Hospital, run by Barts Health NHS Trust, said: “Congratulations to all parents on their new arrivals. Christmas and New Year brings extra cause to celebrate what is always a very special time for parents and staff across all our birthing facilities; Barking Community Birth Centre, Newham Hospital delivery suite and birthing centre as well as our home birth team. I would also like to thank all our staff who worked across the period to support mothers and their families.”