Newham’s new borough commander Tony Nash is looking forward to his new job
- Credit: Archant
This is my first article for the Newham Recorder following my arrival as the new police borough commander.
From the outset, I would like to recognise the work undertaken by my predecessor Rob Jones and hope that I can build on the work he took forward.
I consider it a privilege to have been put into this role and hope that I can lead the officers and staff of the Metropolitan Police in this borough to reduce crime, increase the number of people we arrest – and ultimately place before the courts – and at the same time provide reassurance to boost public confidence and reduce fear of crime.
These ambitions can only be achieved by working with other agencies and key stakeholders such as Newham Council. Many of these relationships are already in place and work effectively.
The second part of delivering these outcomes is by effectively working with and listening to Newham’s communities. This is, and has always been, a key tenet of how policing should be delivered and an area I feel we can and must improve upon.
You may also want to watch:
Along with my senior leadership team, one of us will attend each ward panel at least once a year for the public to hold us to account and open a constructive debate on how we might deliver an improved service. It will also allow us to tell you of positive outcomes that you may not be aware of.
Over the coming months, I will write about policing issues that effect Newham and try to explain what we are doing and offering any advice deemed appropriate.
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 6 Looking back: five years since West Ham United left the Boleyn
- 7 Levels youngsters sign Premier League and Football League contracts
- 8 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 9 How Ben Levinson OBE has helped turn around Kensington Primary School
- 10 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
Newham is clearly an area in positive transition with substantial investment and the number of iconic venues multiplying along with the size and diversity of its residential and business communities.
This offers great potential to improve the life of many but also comes with challenges.
I look forward to meeting and working with the people of Newham and delivering a safer environment for all.