Newham’s fireworks display cancelled due to foggy weather
- Credit: Andrew Baker and Paul Boylin
Newham Council were forced to cancel their free fireworks display over the weekend due to foggy weather conditions.
Residents were invited to celebrate Guy Fawkes night with a fireworks extravaganza at Wanstead Flats yesterday evening.
However, the event was called off due to “dense, lingering fog”.
A council spokeswoman confirmed that the fireworks will be used at another community event.
Sir Robin Wales, Mayor of Newham, said: “Unfortunately due to the fog on Sunday evening we were unable to put on the fantastic fireworks display we had planned for the borough. I know this will have been a huge disappointment to many residents and families.
“The display was dismantled on the night and we will now use the fireworks at another event next year.”
Ahead of Guy Fawkes Night on Thursday, the 24 shops across the borough that are licensed to sell fireworks by members of the council’s trading standards team and officers from London Fire Brigade to ensure the explosives are being stored correctly and they are only being sold to only those aged 18 and over.
- 1 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 2 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 3 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 4 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 7 Coroner concerned with Barts NHS trust after woman 'unlawfully killed'
- 8 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 9 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Jackett looks at positives from Port Vale point
These stores will then be revisited by underage test purchasers to ensure they are complying with the law. Those that fail the test could face prosecution.
Last year all the licensed firework retailers passed test purchase.