Newham residents urged to honour war dead
Residents across the borough are invited to join Newham Council on Remembrance Day to honour those who have given their lives to protect this country.
Mayor Sir Robin Wales, Newham councillors and officers and members of the Royal British Legion will pay their respects at remembrance services on Sunday, November 11.
This year Remembrance Sunday also falls on Armistice Day which is a commemoration of the day the armistice was signed which ended the First World War.
Remembrance Sunday Services will be held at the following locations:
* East Ham Cenotaph, Central Park, High Street South, East Ham. Guests are asked to arrive at Newham Town Hall from 10.15am for a 10.35am procession with members of the Royal British Legion who will parade from High Street South to East Ham Cenotaph, Central Park for a 10.55am ceremony. Deputy Mayor Cllr Lester Hudson will also be in attendance.
You may also want to watch:
* All Saints West Ham Parish Church, Church Street, Stratford. The service will be led by Reverend Stennett Kirby with Cllr Amarjit Singh, Chair of the Council in attendance, and will commence at 10.45am.
* St Mark’s Memorial, Brick Lane Music Hall, Factory Road, North Woolwich. The service is at 10.55am and Cllr Michael Nicholas, Deputy Chair of the Council will attend.
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Three men arrested after Upton Park fatal shooting
- 6 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 7 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
- 8 Protesters target DSEI arms fair at ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Woman arrested on suspicion of murder after man fatally stabbed
- 10 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
* St Luke’s Memorial, Tarling Road, Canning Town, The service will be led by Reverend David Wade from 10.30am and Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales will be attending.
Sir Robin Wales said: “Remembrance Sunday is a day to reflect on the thousands of men and women who put their lives at risk to fight for their country and died for the freedom of others.
“We remember those from generations past as well as those who continue to fall in conflicts and wars. We must never forget what they have done for us.”
Staff at Newham University Hospital in Glen Road, Plaistow will be gathering at 10.40am on November 8 for a service of rememberance on the ground floor of St Andrew’s Wing.