Newham recognises carers’ vital contribution
The invaluable role carers play in our communities has been marked by a series of free events in Newham as part of National Carer’s Week.
A carer is anyone who provides unpaid support to a relative, partner, child or friend due to illness, disability, frailty, a mental health condition or substance misuse problems.
Carers Week, which ran from June 18 to 24, recognised the contribution and achievements that Newham’s carers make to our community. It was also a chance to reach out to hidden carers and raise awareness about the support available to them.
Carers took part in fun, healthy living activities including massage sessions and Zumba classes on June 18 at Winsor Park Community Centre, Beckton.
A special event was held at Central Park, East Ham on June 21 at which carers were able to enjoy tea and cake, meet other carers, share experiences and pick up some up-to-date information about support and services available.
There were also activities to help carers understand the importance of taking care of themselves and enjoying their lives outside of their caring role, including health and well being workshops.
Councillor Riaz Mirza, Newham Council’s Executive Member for Safeguarding, Corporate Parenting and Adults Services, said: “Being a carer can be incredibly rewarding, but it can also feel isolating. Many carers give up work to care, or find it difficult to take up employment, leisure and training opportunities.
- 1 Man held in murder probe after woman fatally stabbed in Custom House
- 2 Man dies after falling unwell in Stratford
- 3 Queen’s Platinum Jubilee: Street parties and road closures in Newham
- 4 'Unexplained': Man dies after being found unresponsive in Plashet Park
- 5 Homes under the Planner: Applications lodged and approved in Newham
- 6 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 7 Man allegedly commits GBH after robbing bottles of champagne from Tesco
- 8 Man charged with fatal stabbing of woman in Custom House
- 9 Wanted: Five people Newham police wish to speak to
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
“We want to show carers that there is life outside of caring and that their hard work is not going unrecognised.”