Newham readers give “angel” from Beckton chance of normal life
Family appeal is successful as they fly to Beijing for operation
“Little angel” Solvita Kadzyte from Beckton has been given the chance to walk, run and play like any other child - thanks to the “unbelievably generous” donations of Recorder readers.
Solvita needed help to walk, feed and dress herself as her mobility was extremely limited after she was diagnosed with rare brain condition Cerebellum Hypoplasia by Great Ormond Street Hospital.
Parents of the four-year-old issued a heart-rending appeal in a January issue of the Recorder to raise �22,000 to fly Solvita to China for revolutionary treatment so that she could walk unaided.
Afterwards, donations poured in for her from kind-hearted readers and some private companies got in contact to help Solvita reach her target.
You may also want to watch:
Solvita was able to have her operation in Beijing in April and she has just returned home.
Father Marius, from Partridge Square, said: “Everything’s alright, she’s doing better and better all the time.”
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 5 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 8 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 9 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
He told the Recorder that Solvita is still recovering from the operation and time will tell if it was the miracle they had hoped for.
Marius said: “We raised the money in the end through a number of private companies making donations and after that in other areas but first your newspaper, of course.
“Lots of people donated from there. People have been unbelievably generous.”
The family had previously tried a range of treatments such as physiotherapy, speech therapy and swimming before re-mortgaging their Beckton home so they could afford the first operation in China. .