Newham project will help LGBTs
A new community project being launched in Newham will give lesbians, gay, bisexuals and transgenders aged over 50 support in the borough.
It is launched by Opening Doors London and Age UK Newham for LGBTs who work or socialise in Newham.
The project, which will provide regular social activities, a telephone advice and signposting service and a one to one befriending scheme, will launch on September 19 between 4pm and 8pm at Newham Community Resource Centre, Chargeable Lane, Plaistow.
The launch event will include live music, poetry and drama, and refreshments and snacks will be provided. Everyone over 50 who identify as LGBT, or who have an interest in Opening Doors London, can attend the launch.
Kate Hancock, Development Coordinator at Opening Doors London, said: “Many older LGBT people suffer from social isolation, and are not aware that specialist help and support is out there. We are really looking forward to building on the work of Opening Doors London in Newham, so that more LGBT people can benefit from these much needed and enjoyable services.”
You may also want to watch:
Opening Doors London was set up in 2008 by Age UK Camden to combat isolation, increase social opportunities and support older LGBT people. Demand for the project was so high that it was able to secure statutory and lottery funding to expand the services too all London boroughs north of the Thames.
For more information about the launch event, visit www.openingdoorslondon.org.uk , email email@example.com or call 020 7239 0400
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 4 'Concern over reliability of cladding and fire safety assessments'
- 5 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 6 Newham to roll out greener fleet as part of £20m plans
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 9 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 10 Call for 'zero tolerance' crackdown on Newham gangs