Newham police on streets for community day of action
- Credit: Archant
If you stop for a coffee while out and about today, don’t be surprised if you’re joined by one of the borough’s police officers.
Cuppa with a copper is just one of the activities taking place as part of the community day of action.
Officers will be meeting members of the public for a drink and a chat at Newham General Hospital and the medical centre on Liberty Bridge Road to provide crime prevention advice.
There will also be a crime prevention stall set up in the Stratford Centre and a prevention and recruitment stand in both Doran Walk and St Stephen’s Parade.
If you’re in Westfield Stratford City between 2 and 4pm, stop outside the Hollister store for a crime surgery.
Some of the police’s community work will also be on display, with a band from the Five O youth engagement project performing in the Stratford Centre from 3pm.
Chief Inspector Shabnam Choudhri said: “Newham borough are working closely with our partners and we have arranged a significant amount of activity for our community day of action.
- 1 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 2 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 3 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 4 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 5 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 6 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 7 Man sentenced for illegal subletting of council home
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 10 Beckton man jailed for role in drugs gang after £2m cannabis plants seizure
“Our day is not just about action, it’s also about interaction with all sections of the community.”
A football tournament involving 100 children from pupil referral units will take place at West Ham United’s ground between 10am and 6pm.
Officers will be engaging with businesses in Green Street from 2pm, while a street briefing will take place outside Primark on High Street North at 9am and Morley Close at 2pm.
Those concerned about domestic violence can head to the advice clinic at the junction of Central Park Road and Barking Road between 9am and 5pm.