Newham parents’ respite as 50 children treated to sleepover
- Credit: Archant
A group of 50 lucky children enjoyed a sleepover that was unlike any other -it included bouncy castles, fireworks and pizza.
The event was organised by Newham charity Aston-Mansfield which got its BIGSleepover project underway at the Froud Community Centre in Manor Park.
The project is designed to provide high-quality and enjoyable respite care for local families. It has been delivered for free to ensure it supports as many local families as possible.
It has been made possible through generous donations on the online ‘crowdfunding’ platform buzzbnk and donations are still being received at www.buzzbnk.org/thebigsleepover.
At 7.30pm the 50 children arrived and swiftly got into their pyjamas, and set up their sleeping bags, before settling down for a pizza banquet.
While they were eating, the purpose built community centre was transformed with each room being given a different activity.
The children were also treated to a firework display in the grounds of the centre.
- 1 Newham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 2 Plenty more to come from West Ham's Scamacca says McKinlay
- 3 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 4 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 5 Colleges offer 'alternative paths' towards fruitful careers, principal says
- 6 Kehrer can 'bring a number of things' to West Ham United
- 7 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 8 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 9 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 10 Thames Water: Hosepipe ban announced for London and Thames Valley
Even the pyjama clad fire drill which followed this (someone had forgotten to shut the door, triggering a smoke alarm) could not dampen spirits and seemed to add to the atmosphere.
The children were allowed to take part in whichever activities they chose over the night, including Karaoke, arts and crafts – making keyrings, posters for the BIGSleepover, and even their very own lip glosses. The sports hall was filled at first with a laser-tag game and then, after midnight with a giant inflatable fun-run.