Newham parents’ respite as 50 children treated to sleepover
- Credit: Archant
A group of 50 lucky children enjoyed a sleepover that was unlike any other -it included bouncy castles, fireworks and pizza.
The event was organised by Newham charity Aston-Mansfield which got its BIGSleepover project underway at the Froud Community Centre in Manor Park.
The project is designed to provide high-quality and enjoyable respite care for local families. It has been delivered for free to ensure it supports as many local families as possible.
It has been made possible through generous donations on the online ‘crowdfunding’ platform buzzbnk and donations are still being received at www.buzzbnk.org/thebigsleepover.
At 7.30pm the 50 children arrived and swiftly got into their pyjamas, and set up their sleeping bags, before settling down for a pizza banquet.
You may also want to watch:
While they were eating, the purpose built community centre was transformed with each room being given a different activity.
The children were also treated to a firework display in the grounds of the centre.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 6 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 9 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 10 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
Even the pyjama clad fire drill which followed this (someone had forgotten to shut the door, triggering a smoke alarm) could not dampen spirits and seemed to add to the atmosphere.
The children were allowed to take part in whichever activities they chose over the night, including Karaoke, arts and crafts – making keyrings, posters for the BIGSleepover, and even their very own lip glosses. The sports hall was filled at first with a laser-tag game and then, after midnight with a giant inflatable fun-run.