Newham optometrist charged with manslaughter of eight-year-old boy
- Credit: Archant
An eye specialist from Newham has appeared in court accused of the manslaughter of an eight-year-old boy.
Locum optometrist Honey Rose is accused of killing Vincent Barker by gross negligence on July 13, 2013.
The 34-year-old, of Milton Avenue in East Ham, was summonsed to attend South East Suffolk Magistrates Court in Ipswich yesterday afternoon for the first hearing of her case and to be formally charged.
During the five-minute hearing clerk of the court Richard Newman read out the allegation and asked Rose to confirm her name, address and date of birth.
Prosecutor Hilary Reeve requested that the two sitting magistrates send the matter to crown court.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Reeve said Rose had been summonsed to court and that the prosecution would be happy for her to be on unconditional bail until her next hearing. No representations or pleas were made or entered on Rose’s behalf.
Chairman of the bench David Broughton committed the case to Ipswich Crown Court and told Rose her preliminary hearing would take place on Thursday next week.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Canning Town bus station stays closed as 'urgent' investigation underway
- 3 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 5 Carpenters Estate neighbours to vote on redevelopment plans
- 6 High Court judge rules no further action needed over embargo breach by Newham company boss
- 7 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 8 Brilliant moment for Okoflex as he nets in West Ham's win at Celtic
- 9 Man injured as glass falls from Canning Town bus station canopy
- 10 Boy, 16, found stabbed in Custom House
A provisional trial window was also given as between January 25 and March 4 next year.
At the conclusion of the hearing Rose was released on unconditional bail.
Vincent Barker was a pupil at Dale Hall Primary School in Ipswich.
He died at home in Henley Road at 8.30pm on Friday, July 13, 2013, after it is understood he was taken ill at school.
The eight-year-old was also keen footballer and played for the Under-8 team at Whitton United.
Shortly after Vincent’s death Reverend Andrew Dotchin, then-Rector of Whitton with Thurleston and Akenham, said: “There have been lots of tears shed, immense sadness and great shock.
“It has reverberated throughout the community. Everyone has been touched by how terribly tragic it is.
“Parents have been hugging their children close and sending their thoughts and prayers to the family at this awful time.”