Newham MPs urge PM to freeze energy bills now
- Credit: Archant
Newham MPs Lyn Brown and Stephen Timms are calling on the government to freeze energy bills before winter really kicks in. Under David Cameron the cost of gas and electricity has increased £300 for the average household, while prices have risen faster than wages for 38 months of the Tory-led Coalition.
Ed Miliband’s promise to freeze energy prices, should he win the election, has been met with support.
The freeze, to last until the beginning of 2017, would save a typical household an estimated £120.
The MPs however say that there is no time to lose.
Cllr Brown said, “Constituents tell me they are worried about their energy bills. They do not know how they will be able to heat their homes this winter. People should not have to choose between heating or eating yet this is a worrying reality for a growing number of people in Newham.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Timms added, “David Cameron’s failure to tackle the so-called “Big Six” has meant that many people are now struggling to pay their bills.
“Ed Miliband says Labour will freeze prices until the start of 2017 if Labour wins the next election. But residents of Newham need help now. So I’m calling on David Cameron to freeze our bills today.”
- 1 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 4 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 7 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 10 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property