Newham MPs hail success of jobs fair held at West Ham United
Newham MPs Stephen Timms and Lyn Brown welcomed more than 800 work seekers to their first ever jobs and apprenticeship fair.
The politicians jointly organised the event at West Ham FC’s Boleyn Ground on Friday to take advantage of any opportunities created by the Olympics and Paralympics.
It was so successful they are considering holding it again in six months.
It was arranged to help school leavers and graduates into their first job or to get back into work. Interview and CV tips also formed part of the day.
East Ham MP Mr Timms said the fair went “extremely well”.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “It was buzzing all day and people were coming in before it opened. That carried on right the way through the day until it finished.
Recruitment professionals also ran interview and CV advice for most of the afternoon, and companies such as London City Airport ran stalls.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 5 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 6 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 8 Leyton Orient boss Jackett full of praise for Sotiriou after Magpies win
- 9 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 10 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
Newham College and Community Links also sent workers, along with event partners Newham Council, John Lewis, and Redwood Skills.
Mr Timms will write to employers to gauge the success of the fair, and to find out how many people left having secured employment.
He added: “I will certainly be asking them that question, I hope that there were people who actually got jobs.”
West Ham MP Ms Brown said: “It was an absolute pleasure to talk to so many young people, and to see the ability and enthusiasm they have to offer.
“It was great to talk to many current apprentices doing full time work, and to hear the positive experiences they have had.”