Newham Mayor secures more than 1,000 free places for run at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park
- Credit: Archant
More than 1,000 runners from across the borough will be able to take part in this year‘s National Lottery Newham London Anniversary Run after the Newham Mayor secured 1,000 free places.
The five mile run, which takes place on July 20, will take them through the iconic Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. It is the sixth consecutive year that the council has been involved in staging a run around the borough and third year that it will be at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
Sir Robin Wales said: “These places will ensure residents can participate for free in a unique run which will take in some of the most iconic locations from the Games as well as encouraging them to lead an active and healthy life.
“I promised residents they would benefit from the legacy of the 2012 Olympic Games. That means new jobs, new homes and new community spaces. “The anniversary run is an important part of that showcasing all Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park has to offer and helping to deliver on my commitment to provide a lasting legacy for all Newham residents.”
Each place is worth £23 each. Additionally, 300 places in the two kilometre family run, worth £5 per person, will be made available free of charge to residents. Each family place will up to a maximum of two adults and two children. For both events, there is no limit on the number of spectators who can line the route and cheer participants on.
You may also want to watch:
The five mile route for this year’s adult run will see joggers go past many of the most iconic and memorable locations from the 2012 Olympic Games including the Velopark, the Aquatics Centre and the Orbit. The course will also take in iCity and South Park Gardens.
Construction work means this year the run cannot finish in the Olympic Stadium as it has done previously.
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 5 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 8 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 9 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
To apply for a free place, which are for Newham residents only, visit www.newhamlondonanniversaryrun.org/newham. Entries are non transferable.