Newham Mayor meets young lifesavers
Sir Robin Wales has met with a group of students who have been raising awareness about lung cancer.
He joined the Year 12 students for a breakfast to celebrate the work they have been doing among their fellow students and families about the disease.
The students, from St Angela’s and St Bonaventure’s Sixth Form, have been spreading the word about the condition and the dangers of smoking. They have been delivering lessons to raise awareness amongst their fellow sixth formers.
They are known as Community Links’ Lifesavers and have been trained in lung cancer awareness by staff from the local public health team and from Community Links.
Lung cancer is one cancer where we can identify a cause, we know that most people who die from lung cancer have smoked.
You may also want to watch:
Frances Clarke, from Community Links, has been working with the students. She said “In Newham people die unnecessarily because they don’t detect the signs and symptoms early enough. The students are sharing this essential information with other students and with their families and friends and in this way we hope to save lives.”
She urged people to familiarise themselves with the symptoms which include:
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 5 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 6 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 7 Levels youngsters sign Premier League and Football League contracts
- 8 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 9 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 10 Connor Wood keen to keep developing at Leyton Orient under Kenny Jackett
*A Persistent cough lasting more than 3 weeks
*Shortness of breath
*Coughing up phlegm with blood
*Unexplained weight loss