Newham Mayor meets residents in borough’s newest neighourhood
- Credit: Archant
Newham Mayor Sir Robin Wales met some of the borough’s newest residents at East Village, the latest neighbourhood created on the site that housed Olympic athletes.
The residents who moved into their homes were part of the borough’s allocation of 345 social rented homes at East Village, part funded by the Mayor of London.
The homes are owned and managed by Triathlon Homes and offer people an opportunity to benefit from the Olympic housing legacy.
Sir Robin Wales said: “I am pleased to welcome Newham residents to the first social rented homes at East Village. It is fantastic that these properties, that played host to athletic stars such as Usain Bolt, Mo Farah and Ellie Simmonds in summer 2012, will now provide decent homes to hard working tenants.
“The transformation of Newham and the prospect of new homes for our residents was one of the major reasons we supported the bid to host the 2012 Games in the first place. Now we are seeing the legacy of those Games with the first tenants in social rented homes.
You may also want to watch:
“We have worked hard with Triathlon Homes on the lettings strategy for East Village to ensure these homes are available to those in employment. It is right and fair that we can provide good quality housing for our tenants.”
Dale Meredith, executive director of Triathlon Homes, said: “East Village provides high quality, spacious and well designed affordable homes to Londoners on a range of incomes. Nearly 150 households have now moved in, and it’s great to see so many Newham residents benefiting from these high quality homes at social rent rates, making the village an inclusive community for people on a wide range of incomes.”
- 1 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 2 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 3 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Court date adjourned for Beckton man who sexually assaulted young girl
- 6 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 7 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 Shadrach Ogie back in contention for O's trip to Bristol Rovers
- 10 Antonio and Rice fire West Ham to win over Dinamo Zagreb in Europa League
Triathlon Homes has more than 1,000 additional homes at East Village including homes to buy via shared ownership as well as homes to rent via social rent and intermediate rent, all prioritised for local people and Lond