Newham kids urged to take part in Olympics legacy triathlon
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of children across Newham can take part in this year’s Kids of Steel triathlon to celebarte the 2012 Olympics legacy.
They will be among 10,000 youngsters who will combine to swim, cycle and run the distance from London to Rio de Janeiro, the next Olympic host city.
The 2013 Tata Kids of Steel triathlon showcase events will take place at 12 venues across the UK as Tata Steel and British Triathlon bring back the Tata Kids of Steel series for the seventh successive year.
Children will swim, cycle and run an estimated 10,000 kilometres, the same distance the Olympic Torch will travel from London to Rio.
A thousand children from schools across Newham took part in last year’s series of triathlon events which have allowed more than 50,000 children to participate since its launch in 2007. This year’s events will take place between June and September.
You may also want to watch:
The success of Team GB triathletes at the London 2012 Olympic Games was a massive boost to the sport of triathlon in the UK, with the next generation more involved and active in the sport than ever before.
The triathlon events are inclusive and accessible to school children aged between eight and 13 regardless of ability or experience.
- 1 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 2 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 3 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 4 Where can I watch the Euros in east London?
- 5 Leyton Orient goalkeeper Vigouroux linked with Lincoln City
- 6 Queen's Birthday Honours 2021: Charity founder recognised with British Empire Medal
- 7 Stabbing victim 'pursued attackers in his car and crashed into them'
- 8 Neighbours warned to keep windows and doors shut during Plaistow blaze
- 9 Blue plaques celebrate Forest Gate's links to Jimi Hendrix and De Underground Records
- 10 Falling sign injures four in Upton Park
London 2012 Olympic Games Triathlon gold medallist, Alistair Brownlee, said: “It’s fantastic that the Tata Kids of Steel events are returning for 2013 as the sport looks to push on from the success and added interest of London 2012. Triathlon is a growing sport and the Tata Kids of Steel series is showcasing the sport to an increasing number of youngsters for the very first time. We hope they can be inspired to develop a real interest in the sport.”
The first event of the series took place in Falkirk on June 3 and the final will take place in Newham on September 30.
For more information visit www.tatasteeleurope.com/tatakidsofsteel