Newham hospital unveils new emergency facilities for children
Newham hospital has unveiled new, spacious emergency care facilities for children.
It means that all children coming to the hospital for emergency care will be treated in one area whether their need is for urgent, minor or major care.
The new paediatric facility at Newham University Hospital offers a larger triage room, a spacious waiting room and a bright and colourful play area. The facility also features five isolation cubicles and a larger high dependency unit. Jason Nalugya, 14, has already used the facilities when be was brought in by his parents, Jane and Patrick Nalugya of Manor Park. He said: “I like this new emergency department for children better than the hospital was before. I was here in April and my wait this time was shorter.”
Dr Angharad Spencer, from the Emergency Department, said: “Having individual private cubicles offers greater dignity and privacy, which makes it so much easier to talk to patients and their families. The design is also tailored to improve the experience for our younger patients with a bright and airy child friendly space.”
Newham’s out-of-hours GP service located in the Urgent Care Centre also opened last week after undergoing a full refurbishment, providing a dedicated facility for GP provision within the emergency care facility.
You may also want to watch:
Chief Executive Officer of Newham the GP out-of-hours co-operative John De Cesare said: “I am really pleased with the newly refurbished facility. The building is spacious, modern, clean and efficient. The GP out-of-hours service is an integral part of the emergency care pathway so it makes good sense that all emergency facilities are located together.”
Final work is underway with the redevelopment of emergency care facilities at Newham due for completion at the end of July in time to meet the additional demand during the Olympics.
- 1 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration
- 2 11 films and TV shows shot in Newham
- 3 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 4 Exploding aerosol cans 'contributed to rapid spread' of Silvertown blaze
- 5 Delta variant accounts for majority of Covid cases in much of east London
- 6 Average house price in Newham slides again after record February
- 7 London Stadium to host mass Covid-19 jabs event for north east Londoners
- 8 Chief nurse of England praises Newham specialist school nurses
- 9 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 10 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen