Newham hospital unveils new emergency facilities for children
Newham hospital has unveiled new, spacious emergency care facilities for children.
It means that all children coming to the hospital for emergency care will be treated in one area whether their need is for urgent, minor or major care.
The new paediatric facility at Newham University Hospital offers a larger triage room, a spacious waiting room and a bright and colourful play area. The facility also features five isolation cubicles and a larger high dependency unit. Jason Nalugya, 14, has already used the facilities when be was brought in by his parents, Jane and Patrick Nalugya of Manor Park. He said: “I like this new emergency department for children better than the hospital was before. I was here in April and my wait this time was shorter.”
Dr Angharad Spencer, from the Emergency Department, said: “Having individual private cubicles offers greater dignity and privacy, which makes it so much easier to talk to patients and their families. The design is also tailored to improve the experience for our younger patients with a bright and airy child friendly space.”
Newham’s out-of-hours GP service located in the Urgent Care Centre also opened last week after undergoing a full refurbishment, providing a dedicated facility for GP provision within the emergency care facility.
You may also want to watch:
Chief Executive Officer of Newham the GP out-of-hours co-operative John De Cesare said: “I am really pleased with the newly refurbished facility. The building is spacious, modern, clean and efficient. The GP out-of-hours service is an integral part of the emergency care pathway so it makes good sense that all emergency facilities are located together.”
Final work is underway with the redevelopment of emergency care facilities at Newham due for completion at the end of July in time to meet the additional demand during the Olympics.
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 4 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 9 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 10 Antonio 'surprised' to score West Ham winner against Tottenham