Newham hopes to stage gay games in 2018
- Credit: Archant
Newham Council is backing London’s bid to host the 2018 Gay Games.
It has been confirmed that London’s entry has been shortlisted to go through to the final round.
If it succeeds, venues around Newham, including Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in Stratford, will host the multi-sport event which welcomes thousands of athletes from around the world.
For the next stage, the London team will prepare for the arrival of inspectors in July from the Gay Games organisers. The evaluators will be shown the venues for London’s Games which will include local facilities and those in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, and will meet the team and communities supporting their bid.
Mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales, said: “I sincerely hope that London’s bid succeeds. This is an amazing opportunity to build on the many successes of the London 2012 Games, celebrate diversity and change perceptions.
You may also want to watch:
“We’ve already won the bid to host the 2017 World Athletics and Paralympic World Championships, we are also hosting Rugby World Cup 2015 and we’ve got the British Athletics Grand Prix coming to the stadium this July.
“More importantly, just as the Paralympics have transformed attitudes towards people with physical impairment, hosting the Gay Games at the stadium will present another ground-shifting moment to engender respect and tolerance for others.”
- 1 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 2 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 3 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 4 Where can I watch the Euros in east London?
- 5 Leyton Orient goalkeeper Vigouroux linked with Lincoln City
- 6 Queen's Birthday Honours 2021: Charity founder recognised with British Empire Medal
- 7 Stabbing victim 'pursued attackers in his car and crashed into them'
- 8 Neighbours warned to keep windows and doors shut during Plaistow blaze
- 9 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald
- 10 Blue plaques celebrate Forest Gate's links to Jimi Hendrix and De Underground Records
The London 2018 Committee submitted their bid in February this year after 18 months of hard work to secure the support of a range of LGBT groups up and down the country.
The Gay Games is the world’s largest sporting and cultural event organized by, and specifically for LGBT athletes, artists and musicians. It was founded in San Francisco by Tom Waddell (a gay decathlete) in 1982.