Newham has highest levels of problem debt in UK
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Residents in Newham have more problem debt than adults living anywhere else in the country, a survey has revealed.
Research by the Money Advice Service and data specialists CACI found the borough is the UK’s most over-indebted local authority with 22.7 per cent of the population affected.
Over-indebted individuals are defined as those who find meeting monthly bills a heavy burden and/or those who have missed at least three bill payments in a six-month period.
One in six people nationally have financial worries, equivalent to 8.3 million people.
Sheila Wheeler, director of debt at the Money Advice Service said: “Debt is a complex challenge and one that needs a collaborative approach if we are to successfully address it.”
You may also want to watch:
The NGO (non-governmental organisation) plans to tackle the issue with a new strategy including identifying and targeting priority groups who have problem debts.
Have you been affected by debt? Have your say, take our poll.
- 1 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 2 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 3 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
- 4 US fried chicken chain Popeyes to open first UK outlet in Stratford
- 5 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 6 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 7 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat in east London from climate emergency
- 8 New primary school in Stratford welcomes first reception class
- 9 Things to do: Explore east London this weekend
- 10 Campaigners fear Newham City Farm site will become 'another green space'
For advice and support, visit citizensadvice.org.uk