Newham graduate awarded scholarship for new Stratford campus
- Credit: Vickie Flores/Archant
Jasjoot Mudhar has a degree in computing and digital media but has been unemployed for nearly a year.
That was until he was offered a scholarship to study at Loughborough university’s London campus which opened in the Olympic Park this week.
A number of Newham students have been awarded scholarships at the Stratford site in a bid to keep the community “a central part of the project”. They were welcomed at a celebratory Loughborough University London event last Wednesday and enrolled at Here East on Monday.
“When I heard Loughborough were opening a campus here and offering local scholarships I thought it was too good to be true,” Jasjoot said.
“I’ve seen Stratford develop from a local wasteland to the biggest hotspot in Europe. I volunteered at the Olympics so I’ve been a part of the progress in the area and can’t believe I get to be part of this too.”
Jasjoot, of Boleyn Road in East Ham, went to Lister Community School and will study internet media clouds with business as a masters.
The 25-year-old heard about the scholarship through Newham workplace scheme, which helps young, unemployed people in the borough.
- 1 First Omicron case reported in Newham
- 2 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 3 Strike action will hit Central and Victoria line Night Tube services this weekend
- 4 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 5 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 6 'London is moving east': City Hall's Crystal move confirmed for New Year
- 7 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 8 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
- 9 There With You This Winter: Mayor offers £51m of funding for fuel poverty
- 10 Nine rescue pets looking for homes this Christmas in east London
“They provide you with opportunities which arise in your area so this was absolutely perfect,” he added. “I’d never considered a post grad before because of the cost but this has come at the right point in my life and they pay my fees.”
Ten east London graduates have received full scholarships to study at Loughborough University in Stratford.
The Inspiring Success scholarships are jointly funded by Loughborough University London and the London Legacy Development Company (LLDC) and enable unemployed and under-employed graduates from east London boroughs to study a master’s degree.
Gavin Poole, CEO of Here East said he is delighted the university has awarded “prestigious scholarships to local students.”
He said: “Community is central to the Here East project and we want local people to share in this project and benefit from it.
“These scholarships provide a great opportunity for young people in this area to acquire the skills and knowledge that will open up an array of opportunities.”
Loughborough University London provides postgraduate education with a focus on innovation and entrepreneurship.