Newham fire incidents above London average
The number of fires in Newham over the last 12 months were above average when compared to the rest of London, latest figures have shown.
Crews were called to major and minor incidents more than 1,200 times in the borough between December 2010 and November this year.
A total of 511 of the blazes were classed as ‘primary fires’ as they involved a death, casualties, a rescue or were attended by more than four fire engines.
The remaining 717 fires were ‘secondary’ and consisted of minor fires in grassland, derelict buildings, or rubbish containers.
The total was well above the London average of 815.
You may also want to watch:
It comes as initial figures show the number of deaths caused by fire in London fell this year.
In the last calendar year, there were around 26,000 fires in the capital, a fall of three per cent comapred to 2010.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
There were 55 fire related fatalities,
However, there have been around 780 serious injuries in fires so far this year - with expectations that serious fire related injuries will be up by around six per cent.
London Fire Commissioner Ron Dobson said: “It’s good news that the number of fires and fire deaths has fallen but we will never be complacent.
“Any fire death is one too many and we will continue to work hard to ensure that the numbers keep going down.”
Newham firefighters were called to assist people involved in road accidents 95 times - below the London average.