Newham families graduate from course
Parents with children at a Stratford school have ‘graduated’ after completing an eight-week course designed to help their youngsters achieve more.
The Families and School Together programme is a pioneering new education scheme, proven to help children do better at school and dramatically improve their relationships with their families.
It is backed by Save the Children and supports families by working with parents and children in schools and has been endorsed by the United Nations. It is also funded by Morrisons.
Parents, carers and their children, aged three to five, who attend Ranelagh Primary School have completed the course.
Angela Tapscott, Head Teacher at Ranelagh Primary School, said: “I have been very impressed with the commitment and the enthusiasm of the staff involved in the Fast programme both from Ranelagh School and from the FAST delivery team. I have been overwhelmed by the response from parents and heartened at how well our community has come together for these weekly events. It has been a real pleasure to see the parents and children from many different cultures working, playing and sharing meals together. A real community spirit which I hope we can continue to build on. All involved, parents, children and staff have said how much they have enjoyed the experience.”
You may also want to watch:
The course was was developed to improve a family’s relationship, as well as with the school. Games include emotional charades, circle time and special play.
Typical activities include learning to cook a family meal and sitting down together to eat it, as well as coaching parents to read and play with their children and supporting parents in setting boundaries.
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 4 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
The project was originally developed in the US by Professor Lynn McDonald and the programme is running throughout the UK.