Newham drivers warned not to use other people’s Blue Badges
Newham Council is warning motorists that they will face prosecution if they are caught using the Blue Badge system when they are not entitled.
The stark warning follows recent prosecutions at Thames Magistrates Court where two people admitted parking in disabled bays using badges that were not in their names.
Councillor Unmesh Desai, Cabinet member for crime and ant-social behaviour, said: “People who abuse the Blue Badge system deprive genuine users of the parking spaces that are reserved for them. There are almost 11,000 Blue Badges currently in use in Newham and most are being used correctly. We will continue in our efforts to catch and prosecute those who abuse the system.”
Thames Court heard how on January 22 this year in separate incidents, a man and a woman were seen to misuse a Blue Badge in Freemasons Road, Canning Town, to benefit from concessions in a place where free parking was available for registered badge holders.
Council enforcement officers had asked to see the badges as part of routine inspections. The registered badge holders were not with the two people when they parked.
You may also want to watch:
They each admitted the offence, contrary to section 117 of the Road Traffic Regulations 1984. The woman was fined £100 and also made to pay £150 costs and a victim surcharge of £20. The man was fined £50 and must pay costs of £150 and a victim surcharge of £20. Both have 28 days in which to pay.
- 1 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 2 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 3 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 4 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 5 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 6 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 7 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 8 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 9 CCTV image released after rape reported in Forest Gate
- 10 Man in critical condition after triple shooting in Newham