Newham dance stars beat international rivals
Young dancers from a Newham theatre school won top trophies in an international competition last month.
Pupils from the Deborah Day Theatre School, based in Plaistow and East Ham, travelled down to Eastbourne on the south coast on May 25 until 27 to compete in the 10th IDF World Championships in Modern Dance Sport.
The enormous venue housed three theatres of over 100 schools from other parts of the UK, France, central and eastern Europe, Italy, Russia, San Marino and Spain - although some friendly faces were spotted from St Edward’s Primary School in Upton Park.
The talented troop came home with nine trophies for first, second and third place from a potential 13 and three soloist trophies from a possible 12.
The children were so well behaved, the owner of the hotel even phoned Principal Deborah Day to say how well behaved her pupils had been.
You may also want to watch:
Proud Deborah wrote in a report of the weekend: “I am sure the children alongside myself would also like to thank their teachers; Miss Katie, Miss Lucy, Miss Christine, and Miss Jacqui for training the children to World Class Event standard.
“Thank you everybody involved in helping make this event possible for the children, the memories of this weekend will stay with them for the rest of their lives.”
- 1 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 2 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 3 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 4 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 5 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 6 West Ham Academy legend receives honorary doctorate from UEL
- 7 Depth up front is going to be vital says Leyton Orient boss Jackett
- 8 Things to do: Enjoy the last of summer out in east London this weekend
- 9 Silvertown man jailed after police seize drugs with street value of £750k
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
Deborah also wished to thank the sponsors who helped fund the young dancers’ accommodation and entries, in particular Cllr Kevin Jenkins of Community Links.
Particular stars on the day were the tap groups in all three age categories and tap soloists Shakira Simpson and Leah Ferguson who all won first place trophies, the ‘Over the Rainbow’ group who won their Danceshow category, and the Musical Theatre group ‘Hairspray’ who also came top of their category.