Newham councillors win again at fundraising quiz night for Christmas toy appeal
- Credit: Archant
A fundraising quiz night was held on December 5 to raise money for the Newham Recorder and Community Links Christmas Toy Appeal.
The quiz at Community Links’ headquarters in Barking Road, Canning Town, on December 5 saw 15 teams battle it out for the Maureen Allen trophy.
The event raised more than £2,000 for the campaign, which is now hitting its most crucial stage.
There were familiar faces in the winning line-up as the Newham Blips, made up of Newham Council staff, were victorious for the fourth year in a row.
The trophy the teams were playing for is named after former Recorder editorial secretary Maureen Allen, who was a staunch supporter of the appeal.
You may also want to watch:
The Quizmaster for the event was Community Links co-founder Kevin Jenkins, who read a message from Maureen’s daughter Cathy before the quiz thanking the toy appeal for honouring her mother.
Mr Jenkins said: “It was a tremendous night - a full house, strong but friendly competition, and we raised more than £2,000 for the appeal.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 5 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 6 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 7 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 8 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 9 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 10 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
He added: “The are ten days left to make a last big effort to dig deep and give for those who need it most.”
The evening started with a singing performance from children from Community Links and their parents and teachers.
The total for the evening topped £2,000 with an additional £170 added on the night by former Recorder Editor Colin Grainger as a result of his annual 50 length sponsored swim.
For more information on the Toy Appeal or to volunteer call 020 743 9685 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also follow the appeal at www.newhamrecorder.co.uk and on Twitter @NewhamRecorder using the hashtag #ToyAppeal.