Newham Council invests �40 million in Olympic Stadium legacy
Newham Council have agreed to invest �40 million to secure the legacy of the Olympic Stadium.
Members agreed to confirm a decision they made last November and invest the money in the adaptation of the Olympic Stadium in Stratford...subject to agreement of conditions including “appropriate financial and legacy benefits.”
It follows what the authority calla “constructive discussions” with the Olympic Park Legacy Company (OPLC) as a result of the Council’s previous decision in November last year.
The Council further agreed to establish Newham Legacy Investments Limited, a company wholly owned by the London Borough of Newham. It is proposed that Newham Legacy Investments Limited enters into a Limited Liability Partnership with the OPLC to manage the legacy of the Olympic Stadium and island site.
An updated proposal relating to the stadium partnership, the conversion works and the basis for an investment was agreed at the meeting of the full council.
You may also want to watch:
The Council is playing no part in the OPLC’s current process of selecting stadium concession holders.
Mr Kim Bromley-Derry, Chief Executive of Newham Council, said: “We continue to make good progress in securing the legacy of the Olympic Stadium and are working positively with the Olympic Park Legacy Company.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 6 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 Tracey Emin sculpture unveiled at The Line art trail in Three Mills
“Our vision for the Olympic Stadium remains to create significant community benefits including job creation, increased sports participation and the establishment of a world class visitor attraction.
“We are determined to help deliver the promises set out in the original Olympic bid book to transform the lives of those living in London’s East End, especially for the residents of Newham.”