Newham Council invests �40 million in Olympic Stadium legacy
Newham Council have agreed to invest �40 million to secure the legacy of the Olympic Stadium.
Members agreed to confirm a decision they made last November and invest the money in the adaptation of the Olympic Stadium in Stratford...subject to agreement of conditions including “appropriate financial and legacy benefits.”
It follows what the authority calla “constructive discussions” with the Olympic Park Legacy Company (OPLC) as a result of the Council’s previous decision in November last year.
The Council further agreed to establish Newham Legacy Investments Limited, a company wholly owned by the London Borough of Newham. It is proposed that Newham Legacy Investments Limited enters into a Limited Liability Partnership with the OPLC to manage the legacy of the Olympic Stadium and island site.
An updated proposal relating to the stadium partnership, the conversion works and the basis for an investment was agreed at the meeting of the full council.
You may also want to watch:
The Council is playing no part in the OPLC’s current process of selecting stadium concession holders.
Mr Kim Bromley-Derry, Chief Executive of Newham Council, said: “We continue to make good progress in securing the legacy of the Olympic Stadium and are working positively with the Olympic Park Legacy Company.
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 4 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 7 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election
“Our vision for the Olympic Stadium remains to create significant community benefits including job creation, increased sports participation and the establishment of a world class visitor attraction.
“We are determined to help deliver the promises set out in the original Olympic bid book to transform the lives of those living in London’s East End, especially for the residents of Newham.”