Newham community groups receive health award at St Mark’s Christian centre
- Credit: Archant
Community groups in Newham received an award at a Christian community centre for their work promoting health and wellbeing.
Seven newly-accredited groups were presented with their Communities of Health awards at St Marks Community Centre, Beckton, on March 31.
The winners were the Newham Chinese Association, activeNewham, Newham Youth Steel Band, Equalities National Council, Omega Community Living, Art for Fun and Aston Mansfield.
The awards were presented by Dr Ashwin Shah, deputy chairman of Newham Clinical Commissioning Group.
Sue Hooper, co-ordinator of Arts for Fun, said: “Being awarded has helped us feel part of the wider community. Hopefully this will help us with funding applications and make us well-known in Newham.”
You may also want to watch:
ActiveNewham’s communities development director, Eugene Gilkes, said: “We are delighted to be receiving this award for our work in promoting health and wellbeing.
“We look forward to working with CoH partners to support an even
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 3 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 6 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 7 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim
greater impact for the people of Newham.”
The Communities of Health is a project of the Forum for Health and Wellbeing and recognises local groups and organisations for their contribution to improving health and wellbeing in their communities.