Newham College students land hotel jobs in time for Olympics
Newham College students have landed jobs in Stratford’s booming hotels after successfully tailor-made completing courses.
More than half of those who took the six-month course were rewarded with immediate employment by the Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG).
Newham College was approached by IHG with a view to training future staff for 140 vacant posts for the Staybridge Suites Stratford and Holiday Inn Stratford.
The course has now been officially recognised after it was awarded a silver medal by the Olympics organisation Podium in the Award for Inspirational Skills Project.
Course leader Luigi Lipparelli collected the award at a ceremony near to the Olympic Park.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “There was strong competition from around the country and so it’s fantastic to be recognised,
“The course is a great example of how our college can work with employers to secure benefits for local people from the Olympics.
- 1 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Lewis Hamilton-backed vegan burger joint to open in Stratford
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 6 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 7 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 8 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 9 Newham charity hands out 500 food parcels to 'vulnerable' international students struggling with Covid-19
- 10 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
“We have knowledgeable and innovative tutors and hardworking students and I’m pleased their work’s been recognised.”
The course was launched in February by Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg. Other trainees are set up to gain other jobs in the IHG hotels or in other parts of the industry.