Newham CCG offers Bank Holiday health advice
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
As the bank holiday approaches, residents are being encouraged to think carefully before calling A&E.
GPs in Newham are asking local people to make sure they know who to turn to in order to get the right care in the right place – and not to go to A&E unless they have a serious life threatening injury or illness.
Those who injure themselves or fall ill unexpectedly can access the Newham GP out-of-hours services, while many pharmacies are open to help people access the most appropriate care.
Many common illnesses such as coughs or colds can be best and most easily treated by visiting your local pharmacy. Your pharmacist can offer advice on how to best look after yourself at home with rest and over the counter treatments.
If you are unwell outside of your GPs normal opening hours, or you are not registered with a GP please call the Newham out of hours GP cooperative service on 020 7511 8880 and they will direct you to the best service for your condition
“Every year, hundreds of thousands of people wait for hours in A&E when they could have got quicker and more appropriate treatment closer to home,” said Dr Zuhair Zarifa, chair of NHS Newham Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG).
“Going to the right place for your condition frees up A&E for people with the most serious injuries and illnesses.”
- 1 Newham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 2 Plenty more to come from West Ham's Scamacca says McKinlay
- 3 Reward offered to trace Maryland fatal stabbing 'suspect'
- 4 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 5 Colleges offer 'alternative paths' towards fruitful careers, principal says
- 6 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 7 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 8 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 9 Kehrer can 'bring a number of things' to West Ham United
- 10 'There is a cover-up going on somewhere', says flat death OAP's daughter
The GP out of hours service is available for registered patients when their GP practice is closed and for people who are not registered with a GP twenty four hours a day, seven days a week.
“If you want advice or are unsure what to do call the Newham out of hours GP cooperative service on 020 7511 8880 and they will direct you to the best service for your condition.