Newham carers urged to get assessment
This is Michelle Garner and she looks after carers to make sure they stay fit and healthy.
She wants to hear from anyone in Newham who is providing care or support to an individual who has a mental health issue and if that person is, or should be receiving treatment from the East London NHS FoundationTrust.
Michelle, a Mental Health Carers Outreach and Liaison Worker for the Trust provides support and information to carers to maintain their own physical and mental health well-being.
She said: “Some people may not think of themselves as a Carer because they carry out tasks out of love, out of a sense of duty or simply because they care.
“Being a Carer to someone with mental health problems can be rewarding, but it can also be demanding. You need to take care of yourself, for your own sake and for that of the person you are looking after.”
You may also want to watch:
Anyone who provides unpaid time and support to a relative, partner or friend who is ill, frail, has a disability, mental health issues or substance misuse issues…..is a carer. You may give practical help or provide emotional support. You can be a Carer even if you don’t live with the person.
All Carers with the Trust are entitled to a Carers Assessment carried out by Trust staff. They can be reassessed once a year if they continue to provide substantial support. They can be reassessed more often if circumstances change for either them or the person they are caring for. A Carers Assessment can be carried out by a health professional of any discipline. Carers can ask for an assessment even if the person they care for is not receiving services.
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 6 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
Contact Michelle Garner on: 020 8475 8018/07909 897 363 or email her: email@example.com