Newham carers urged to get assessment
This is Michelle Garner and she looks after carers to make sure they stay fit and healthy.
She wants to hear from anyone in Newham who is providing care or support to an individual who has a mental health issue and if that person is, or should be receiving treatment from the East London NHS FoundationTrust.
Michelle, a Mental Health Carers Outreach and Liaison Worker for the Trust provides support and information to carers to maintain their own physical and mental health well-being.
She said: “Some people may not think of themselves as a Carer because they carry out tasks out of love, out of a sense of duty or simply because they care.
“Being a Carer to someone with mental health problems can be rewarding, but it can also be demanding. You need to take care of yourself, for your own sake and for that of the person you are looking after.”
Anyone who provides unpaid time and support to a relative, partner or friend who is ill, frail, has a disability, mental health issues or substance misuse issues…..is a carer. You may give practical help or provide emotional support. You can be a Carer even if you don’t live with the person.
All Carers with the Trust are entitled to a Carers Assessment carried out by Trust staff. They can be reassessed once a year if they continue to provide substantial support. They can be reassessed more often if circumstances change for either them or the person they are caring for. A Carers Assessment can be carried out by a health professional of any discipline. Carers can ask for an assessment even if the person they care for is not receiving services.
- 1 Canning Town fire 'involving freezer' prompts safety warnings
- 2 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 3 £1m Newham lottery ticket winner finally claims their jackpot prize
- 4 Newham primary schools top national league tables
- 5 'Strict licensing laws and pandemic to blame for Newham exodus,' letting agent claims
- 6 Festive events and family days out in east London this weekend
- 7 O's boss Jackett heaps praise on entire side not just Drinan and Smith
- 8 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 9 Man jailed for rape after attacking woman walking back from Canning Town
- 10 12 people wanted after unlinked Newham robberies
Contact Michelle Garner on: 020 8475 8018/07909 897 363 or email her: firstname.lastname@example.org