Newham brass band to play at rugby cup showcase
A Newham brass band will go global this month when they showcase their talents for millions on BBC TV at Rugby League’s Carnegie Challenge Cup Final at Wembley Stadium.
The Aveley & Newham Band will be heard accompanying massed male voice choirs, as well as accompanying singer Laura Wright in the National Anthem and the singing of the traditional Cup Final hymn, ‘Abide with Me’.
A band spokesman said they are looking forward to the worldwide exposure the battle between Leeds Rhinos and Warrington Wolves will bring.
“All the rugby world will be watching this event, and Aveley & Newham is going to be a part of it,” The repertoire will include playing ‘Delilah’ and ‘Hey Jude’, although they are disappointed Paul McCartney will not likely be at the gig to lead the sing-along.
He added: “We are very conscious we are representing the whole of the brass band movement, so it’s a mixture of excitement and pride for everyone involved.”
You may also want to watch:
It’s been a busy summer season for the band, which included parts in the Royal Jubilee celebrations and accompanying the Olympic Flame as it arrived in Newham.
- 1 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 2 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 3 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 4 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 5 West Ham sign World Cup-winning goalkeeper Alphonse Areola on loan
- 6 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 9 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 10 'Life-saving' service at Canning Town homeless charity scoops £150k