Newham Borough Commander Tony Nash highlights other work police do
- Credit: Archant
This week I’d like to highlight the fantastic work that Newham police carry out with our local young people and communities.
Whilst most police work focuses on law enforcement, some officers do have the happy opportunity to work with a variety of third party organisations to support, engage with young people and, in some cases, divert them away from crime and anti-social behaviour.
I recently visited the Newham All Star Basketball Sports Academy (NASSA) in Beckton.
We have been working with NASSA for several years now supporting their fabulous Carry a Basketball Not a Blade campaign, which was set up in 2008 to highlight the tragic loss of young lives through knife crime in London.
Officers regularly work with NASSA and Fight for Peace, the boxing and martial arts academy.
You may also want to watch:
Like us, these organisations recognise the need to identify young people’s potential, particularly those who are not in work, training or education, and who may be involved in gang activity and crime.
By working with third party organisations and charities, we can help communities and individuals to find their own ways out of criminal activity and antisocial behaviour and into safer, legal, and more socially acceptable, pastimes.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 6 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 7 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 8 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 Update: Girl, 14, missing from East Ham found
For those who can’t see a way out, we can provide guidance and support though a variety of borough agencies in the Newham partnership.
Working on partnership projects such as these will help our youngsters both now and in future generations, to have the freedom to make positive choices within a safe environment to become productive and successful adults. More Tony Nash