Newham Baby Blog: “Contractions had begun and baby was finally on her way!”
- Credit: Archant
Three weeks after the world welcomed Prince George of Cambridge, Newham has its own reason to celebrate.
We have been following our very own mum-to-be Shara Bennett, 30, from North Woolwich, since she was 22 weeks pregnant.
She was due to give birth on July 27, around the same time as Kate Middleton, but her little princess arrived eight days later.
Shara writes her final Baby Blog for the Recorder - and, as you can see from the pictures, was worth every second of the wait.
“After numerous predictions that the baby would be early, when my due date came and went with no sign of her arrival I did begin to get impatient.
“I really struggled through the heat wave, any other time I would have been enjoying it but being pregnant made it unbearable.
“I was just getting more uncomfortable by the day and I couldn’t wait to hold her in my arms.
- 1 New documentary on murders of women whose bodies were hidden in freezer
- 2 Jailed: Teen who inflicted life-changing injuries as he squirted acid in boy's face
- 3 Overnight blaze at North Woolwich block of flats
- 4 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 5 Newham man among UK's 'most wanted fugitives' who may be hiding in Spain
- 6 Man remains in critical condition after Stratford Station attack
- 7 Mother and daughter, 3, left without boiler as temperatures hit freezing
- 8 Travel disruptions: Hackney, Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 9 East London boroughs lag behind rest of country for Covid booster uptake
- 10 Sixth form rated Outstanding in all categories by Ofsted
“Friday 2nd August, at six days overdue I visited the midwife for a sweep.
“With a 50/50 chance of working I was keeping my fingers crossed that I would not have to go into hospital for the induction that had been booked for the following week.
“Saturday 3rd August and still no sign of baby, thankfully I had a very busy day. Helping with a community street party meant that I had no time to think about being overdue.
“I did some dancing, had a bounce on the bouncing castle and did a whole lot of belly aching laughing to help get her moving down.
“It was a long day and when I got home that evening I knew things were starting to happen.
“Contractions had begun and baby was finally on her way.
“I arrived at hospital at 5.20am on the morning of Sunday 4th August.
“After being examined I was relieved to be told I was 9cm dilated, I had got that far with no pain relief.
“Labour and delivery was hard work, but I was lucky to get through without any complications.
“My beautiful princess had finally arrived on Sunday 4th August at 9.46am weighing 8lb 2oz, we named her Amber Rose and she is perfect in every way.
“We are looking forward to watching her grow with her two big sisters by her side.”