Newham areas in top 20 attended by air ambulance
Two of Newham’s postal code areas are listed in the top 20 for missions attended by London’s helicopter emergency medical teams.
London’s Air Ambulance, the charity that runs London’s Helicopter Emergency Medical Service, HEMS, has launched an Interactive Mission Map on its website. It shows each postcode area with a breakdown of missions that the capital’s air ambulance has attended in the vicinity since the beginning of the year.
It attends over 2,000 missions in the Capital per year. It only tends to those patients who are critically injured patients and in whom every minute counts.. Missions commonly involve serious road traffic collisions, falls from heights, incidents on the rail network and assaults. The postcodes in the map represent approximate areas and are not exact locations.
The aim of the map is to create awareness of the type of injury and the areas covered by the London’s Air Ambulance Charity. London’s Air Ambulance serves the whole of London, within the M25 - over 10 million people who live, work and commute daily. The medical team, which includes a senior trauma doctor and a paramedic, carry out procedures at the roadside, such as open chest surgery, blood transfusions and anaesthesia, that are normally only found in the hospital emergency departments.
The air Ambulance team provide 24 hour care to Londoners, using a helicopter by day and rapid response cars by night to deliver its medical expertise when it is needed most.
You may also want to watch:
In 2011, the HEMS team attended to 27 incidents in the E6 area and 23 in the E16 post code. Both areas were in the top 20 postcodes requiring the medical expertise of the London’s Air Ambulance’s medical teams.
Commenting on the 2011 statistics, Dr Gareth Davies, Medical Director and Chair of the Trustees, said: “By giving our audience a snapshot of the work that we do, we really hope that this map will highlight just how much work the Charity does and the vital role it plays in helping to save the lives of people in London. ’
- 1 First apartments to go on sale at 769-home development in Royal Docks
- 2 Police appeal to bystanders in alleged rape case
- 3 Newham town halls to be lit up in tribute to Sabina Nessa
- 4 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 5 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 6 Steven Fry: Canning Town man to face court charged with murder
- 7 Man killed and two injured in triple shooting
- 8 Police name Newham man fatally shot in Haringey
- 9 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 10 Leyton Orient boss Jackett 'frustrated' with Mansfield Town draw