Newham ‘animals’ walk two-by-two to beat cancer
Readers can be forgiven for thinking there had been a breakout from the zoo judging by these pictures.
But this bemusing sight was in fact a charity stunt by staff and supporters at Whipps Cross Hospital in Leytonstone to raise money and awareness for Cancer Research UK.
A determined group of seven friends and relatives from Newham and Dagenham took four and a half hours to complete a 10 mile walk from the hospital to Asda supermarket in Dagenham on Saturday September 15 where the fundraising continued with a collection outside the store.
The chicken, wolf, tiger, elephant, mouse and gorilla and one casually dressed guest are better known as Rob Harvey, Graham Russ, Tanya Smith, Matthew Smith, Luke Renolds, Juila Ekpang, and Paul Milliner raised an impressive �1,200 on the sponsored walk.
The walk was organised by acting deputy head porter at Whipps Cross Rob Harvey who hopes to similar events in the future.
You may also want to watch:
Paul, who lives in Plaistow and works at Whipps Cross Hospital as a support worker, said: “When Rob first approached me to sponsor him I decided to get involved and do the walk as well.
“I had lost my mother to cancer thirteen years ago, and was diagnosed with a cancer myself in 2004.
- 1 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 2 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 3 Man given community order for 26 counts of criminal damage after scratching name into property
- 4 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 5 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 6 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 7 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 8 Newham mathematician to fill in for Countdown presenter and expectant mum Rachel Riley
- 9 241-home development at Royal Albert Wharf marks 12-storey milestone
- 10 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
“My treatment was at Barts Hospital, and I had signed up to a randomised medical test procedure.
“Eight years on and I am grateful for the research and development into cancer treatment by organisations such as Cancer Research UK and Macmillan, and was delighted to be able to give something back.”
Paul and the rest of the team also wanted to thank all the sponsors, volunteers, Whipps Cross Hospital, Asda Dagenham, and everyone who contributed to and supported their effort.