Newham Academy of Music’s Zipporah, 8, lands Lion King role
- Credit: Archant
Rising star Zipporah Fornah is hoping to make her rip-roaring debut in the West End production of The Lion King.
Zipporah started music lessons at the Newham Academy of Music when she was just three years old before joining the Newham All Stars choir and dabbling in drama and dance at the Deborah Day Theatre School in East Ham.
But the young cub, now eight, has been chosen to play Young Nala, the childhood friend of main character Simba, from May until November.
Zipporah’s tough training at Sylvia Young Theatre School prepared her for a gruelling rehearsal schedule until 6pm every day.
To land the part, she said: “At the audition, I sang ‘I Want To Be A Mighty King’ and danced.”
You may also want to watch:
Her mother, Halimah Fornah, said Zipporah’s “voice really came out” while she was studying how to play the piano and drums at the music school run by Newham Music Trust.
She added: “The people who can share in Zipporah’s glory are her family, and everyone at Newham Academy of Music.
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 3 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 4 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 5 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 6 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 7 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 8 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 9 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 10 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
“We thank the Lord for Zipporah’s God-given gift.”