New Stratford artwork inspired by summer school pupils
- Credit: Ollie Harrop
Making the transition from primary to secondary school can be daunting.
During the summer, however, a group of 10 and 11-year-olds facing that scenario took part in a programme at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park – with their work being used to create art.
The 32.5m long data visualisation has been painted on the East London Canvas, which can be seen on the walk between Westfield Stratford City and the London Aquatics Centre, by artist Stefanie Posavec.
It takes the data gathered by the schoolchildren on the park’s landscape and recreates it in visual form.
The work was commissioned by Space, as part of Foundation for Future London’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park summer school programme.
You may also want to watch:
Claire Gevaux, the foundation’s head of programmes, said: “art.park.data is a beautiful visual representation of the possibilities when art, science, and education collide in perfect harmony.
“We hope that all the young people involved in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park summer schools have now had a successful transition into their new schools.
- 1 Halal butcher's aiming to be 'Harrods of meat industry' opens in Stratford
- 2 Parking space row sees police called and woman left feeling 'vulnerable'
- 3 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 4 'Simply horrifying': Newham MPs react after stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Family given 'gift' of week to say goodbye to son who died at 10 minutes old
- 6 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
- 7 Forest Gate townhouses scoop RIBA's Neave Brown award for 'affordable' housing
- 8 Plan to transform Royal Docks into 'world-leading' cultural hub unveiled
- 9 Beckton man due to be sentenced for sexual assault of young girl
- 10 Update: Girl, 14, missing from East Ham found
“We welcome them back to see the artwork and feel proud that their hard work has contributed to a visible outcome of the creative learning opportunities of the park.”
The East London Canvas is a rolling art exhibition, showcasing work for just a few weeks at a time.