New museum to ‘pop’ into Newham
A new “pop up” museum is about to come to Newham
A new “pop-up” museum is about to come to Newham.
The Peoples Museum and Gallery of Newham has won Heritage Lottery Fund support.
Eastside Community Heritage has been awarded a grant of �15,700 to convert a building in High Street Stratford into the Peoples Museum and Gallery of Newham from the end of July until October.
The pop up Museum and Gallery will display the people’s history and heritage of Newham and be open to local residents. The venue will host reminiscence sessions, film shows, history talks and walks and school workshops as well as showcasing the peoples history of the area to tourists on their way to the Olympic Games.
You may also want to watch:
Executive Director Judith Garfield said: “We are thrilled to have received the support of the Heritage Lottery Fund and are confident the project will enable local people to tell their powerful stories of the history and heritage of the area, during this exciting period of change in Newham. The project gives the people of Newham a chance to welcome the world to the borough through their own words”
Eastside Archive holds over 1,000 oral histories and hundreds of photographs from the people of Newham telling their stories.
- 1 Rape survivor awarded British Empire Medal for services to community in pandemic
- 2 US burger chain Wendy's set to open first London restaurant in Stratford
- 3 Woman dies in fire at Stratford home
- 4 Where can I watch the Euros in east London?
- 5 Leyton Orient goalkeeper Vigouroux linked with Lincoln City
- 6 Queen's Birthday Honours 2021: Charity founder recognised with British Empire Medal
- 7 Stabbing victim 'pursued attackers in his car and crashed into them'
- 8 Neighbours warned to keep windows and doors shut during Plaistow blaze
- 9 Blue plaques celebrate Forest Gate's links to Jimi Hendrix and De Underground Records
- 10 Falling sign injures four in Upton Park