New Leyton Orient manager Milanese begins with home defeat to Preston

Scott Cuthbert of Leyton Orient seeks to evade Jack King of Preston. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

Scott Cuthbert of Leyton Orient seeks to evade Jack King of Preston. Pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO

League One: Leyton Orient 0 Preston North End 2

Leyton Orient manager Mauro Milanese started his era with a 2-0 defeat at home to highflying Preston as a goal in each half proved to be enough to extend O’s winless run at home to seven games.

Callum Robinson gave the visitors the lead on 19 minutes and though the hosts showed some promising signs at times, the defeat was sealed by Paul Huntington’s close range effort 16 minutes from time.

Leyton Orient made three changes from the side that lost 3-0 at Port Vale with skipper Nathan Clarke missing out through injury, Darius Henderson serving the first match of his three-game ban and Chris Dagnall dropped to the bench.

In his place came Italian striker Gianvito Plasmati for his first start since joining the O’s, while Dean Cox and Bradley Pritchard also returned to the starting line-up.

It was the visitors who started brightly and Chris Humphrey fizzed an effort across goal wide after five minutes, before Preston’s David Buchanan went in the book for a late lunge on Pritchard.

And the hosts were almost undone by the long ball when a Jones clearance was flicked on and Garner raced away, only for Woods to come out and smother the ball just inside the area.

Most Read

Seconds later Robinson shot low at the O’s goalkeeper who saved and then gathered at the second attempt.

But unsurprisingly the visitors went in front on 19 minutes when a ball into the box from Humphrey was deflected into the path of Robinson and he found the net from close range.

The goal seemed to spark the hosts into life and Simpson went close with an effort across goal, before the former Arsenal man then saw another shot blocked on the line from a corner.

Garner should have done better for Preston when heading straight at Woods from Paul Gallagher’s right wing cross, however, the O’s would then be superbly denied by Jones twice in a matter of seconds.

McAnuff’s centre found the onrushing Simpson and his effort was blocked by the Preston stopper.

The rebound fell kindly for Plasmati but Jones was again on hand to save with his feet as O’s ended the half behind.

But the second period was slow to get going and the closest either side came to a goal was wayward free-kicks from Paul Gallagher and Dean Cox.

Neither side was creating much in front of goal, but Preston substitute Kevin Davies went close as he got a faintest of headers on Neil Kilkenny’s free-kick, but Woods was able to marshal it behind to safety.

However, from the next Kilkenny set piece Preston doubled their lead. Tom Clarke had just come on the pitch and his first touch was to nod the free-kick back across goal for fellow centre half Huntington to tap home from close range.

That second goal killed the game as a contest and though the O’s plugged away, they were unable to prevent themselves from slipping to their fifth home defeat of the season.

Leyton Orient: Woods, Omozusi, Baudry, Lowry, Cuthbert, McAnuff, Bartley, Pritchard (Wright 55), Cox, Simpson (Kashket 90+2), Plasmati (Batt 65).

Unused substitutes: Lee, Grainger, Dagnall, Ling.s

Preston North End: Jones, Wiseman, King, Huntington, Buchanan, Kilkenny (Browne 85), Welsh, Humphrey, Gallagher (Davies 53), Robinson (Clarke 73), Garner

Unused substitutes: Laird, Reid, Stuckmann, Brownhill.

Attendance: 4,560 (771 Preston North End fans)

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter