New East Village cycling shop offers ‘more than just retail’
- Credit: Archant
A new cycling shop has opened, less than 500m from where the likes of Chris Hoy and Victoria Pendleton won Olympic gold medals in 2012.
Run by a father-and-sons team, Pavé Velo opened in Victory Parade, Stratford, last month with the aim creating a place for people with an interest in cycling.
Complete with coffee bar and bikes of all prices and specifications, one-time Great Britain junior racer Phil Finnemore, 32, insists the East Village store caters for all needs.
“When visiting some bike shops people can feel as if they need to buy something, but we don’t want to intimidate people,” he said.
“We’re trying to be a bit more than just a retail shop – we’re also a place where people can come to learn about cycling and hopefully get into the sport.
“We’ve got a coffee machine and a small cafe bar, so people can just come in for a chat about bikes.”
The launch follows the success of the family’s first store in St Austel, back in their native Cornwall.
- 1 Collision causes traffic delays on A13 near Canning Town
- 2 Westfield bar's licence under threat after girl raped
- 3 'Extremely violent' Forest Gate robbery filmed by onlookers
- 4 Multi-vehicle collision in Canning Town leads to one driver being cut free
- 5 Man masturbates on Central line train in front of two women
- 6 'We have been failed': Newham families face eviction by council
- 7 Man sentenced for illegal subletting of council home
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 10 Beckton man jailed for role in drugs gang after £2m cannabis plants seizure
Phil, who visited Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in 2012 – describing the atmosphere in the Lee Valley VeloPark as “absolutely phenomenal” – admits the location is a dream come true.
“Being interested in cycling ourselves we’ve always had a bit of an affinity with the Olympics and the legacy it’s created,” he added.
“We were looking to expand and this became available at just the right time for us.
“It’s a great area and cycling is the best way to get around here.”
Visit pavevelo.cc for more