New crossing is needed, Silvertown Tunnel consultation finds
- Credit: TfL
A majority of Londoners believe a new river crossing is needed, a consultation into the proposed Silvertown Tunnel has discovered.
Of the 4,600 people who responded to Transport for London’s (TfL) survey between October and December 2014, 83 per cent agreed that a new bridge or tunnel needed to be built.
However, 57pc were against the proposed charge for using the new crossing, which, if it goes ahead, will link Silvertown and Greenwich.
The report mentions that concerns were raised about the increase of traffic into the surrounding area.
Some respondents said that a crossing between Beckton and Thamesmead should be considered or even prioritised.
You may also want to watch:
Darryl Chamberlain, of campaign group No to Silvertown, said: “The next London mayor needs to cut their losses and abandon this idea before it wastes any more time and money.
“We’re told the Silvertown Tunnel will help regenerate east London, but it’ll only add to the congestion and pollution that already blights the area.”
- 1 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 2 More than 20 places in Newham hit by flooding, council says
- 3 Clean-up underway after flash floods hit Newham
- 4 Tributes to Pearly King of Newham who has died aged 79
- 5 School's out!: Newham puts on jam-packed summer holiday activities programme
- 6 Ceiling panels collapse and operations cancelled at hospital after flooding
- 7 The secondary schools in Newham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Queen's 1983 visit to St Mary Magdalene's marked with unveiling of new plaque
- 9 Kitchens from independent chefs coming to Beckton in Raymond Blanc-supported project
- 10 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
A user charge has been considered for both the Silvertown and Blackwall tunnels as part of the proposals, to help fund the development.
Matthew Jaffa, Senior Development Manager, Federation of Small Businesses, said: “Whilst we support the need for further road crossings under the Thames at Silvertown, we are disappointed with TfL’s headstrong vision to charge existing road space at the Blackwall Tunnel.”
A further consultation will be held by TfL in the autumn before submitting an application for powers to build the new tunnel in spring 2016.