Nellie celebrates her centenary
CHAMPAGNE corks were popping in Beckton on Thursday to celebrate Nellie Fletcher’s 100th birthday.
Having spent the rest of her life in East Ham, Nellie has spent the last 24 years living at Staples House in Savage Gardens.
As well as reading her telegram of congratulations from the Queen, she was also presented with a bunch of flowers by staff from Genesis Housing Group which runs the scheme.
A former waitress and telephonist in the Woolwich Arsenal munitions factory, Nellie, pictured, spent her centenary surrounded by friends and family, including her 78-year-old son, Ron Fletcher.
She told the Recorder: “I do not feel any different but I’m looking forward to being 101.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t have a secret. I just let every day go as it comes. I only worry about the things I should worry about.”
Nellie added that it was lovely to have all her friends around her and a second party was planned with her family including her four grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
- 1 Take a peek inside The Boleyn Tavern as it prepares to welcome punters
- 2 Investigation launched after two young men stabbed in Newham
- 3 'Dangerous and predatory' Newham man found guilty of child sex assault
- 4 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 5 Demand for urgent action as Newham lags behind in Covid-19 jabs
- 6 Charting Jack the Ripper's 'rival' in the West Ham murders
- 7 Arrests in Ilford and East Ham as police target suspected county lines gang
- 8 Dame Vera Lynn memorial campaign announced on first anniversary of star's death
- 9 Richard House Children's Hospice sensory garden equipment stolen
- 10 The Boleyn Tavern in East Ham to welcome back punters after £1.5m restoration