Nellie celebrates her centenary
CHAMPAGNE corks were popping in Beckton on Thursday to celebrate Nellie Fletcher’s 100th birthday.
Having spent the rest of her life in East Ham, Nellie has spent the last 24 years living at Staples House in Savage Gardens.
As well as reading her telegram of congratulations from the Queen, she was also presented with a bunch of flowers by staff from Genesis Housing Group which runs the scheme.
A former waitress and telephonist in the Woolwich Arsenal munitions factory, Nellie, pictured, spent her centenary surrounded by friends and family, including her 78-year-old son, Ron Fletcher.
She told the Recorder: “I do not feel any different but I’m looking forward to being 101.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t have a secret. I just let every day go as it comes. I only worry about the things I should worry about.”
Nellie added that it was lovely to have all her friends around her and a second party was planned with her family including her four grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.
- 1 Hospitality Day 2021: Newham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 David Gomoh's killers jailed 101 years total for Canning Town murder
- 3 Plans to ease congestion at Stratford station receive £2m boost
- 4 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 5 Watch the moment 'stolen' car drives into vehicles in East Ham
- 6 Kacem Mokrane: Newham man amongst seven charged with 2017 murder
- 7 Jailed: Robbers who targeted OAPs at east London cashpoints
- 8 Steven Fry stabbing: Custom House victim named in murder investigation
- 9 Machetes, zombie and lock knives: Five plead guilty after police seize 128 weapons in Plaistow
- 10 Jailed: 'Sadistically cruel' East Ham man who raped, assaulted victim